Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Age Old Question


Tell me, Richard. You’re a college professor. Are leaders born or made?

I was startled by this peculiar greeting. Actually, I was flabbergasted. It’s true. I am a college professor. I teach management and leadership courses at Covenant College, high atop Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga, Tennessee. I was calling on a senior executive of a large foundation to express appreciation for the foundation’s long-standing and generous financial support of the college. As I entered the door into his luxurious, well-appointed, mahogany-paneled office, I was greeted with this bewildering question: Are leaders born or made?
Not one to shy away from a first-rate challenge, I retorted, Made! This is what Covenant College is all about! We’re in the business of making leaders! Frankly, I felt rather smug with my quick-witted comeback.

What followed could be described as gracious, just as easily as spirited. This highly regarded community leader and I took opposing stances on this age-old question.

Leaders are made! I said.

Leaders are born! he exclaimed. Your position is not biblical!

We soon ran out of time, forgetting the original purpose of our scheduled appointment. Though befuddled by this executive’s unanticipated challenge and relentless interrogation (he is an attorney by training), his provocative greeting prompted what has grown into my zealous pursuit for a balanced and reasoned response to this troublesome, age old question.

Let me ask you, Are leaders born or made?

Richard

No comments: